Monday 3 May 2010

Miniatures Monday - Back to the Darkness


No, not the Mindflayer (although I do have one and when I've got the digicam fixed, I'll be putting a picture of that up) but another of Lolth's little chums.

Now, firstly I must admit that I've absolutely no idea what that big stick is; given that the Drow are nifty with the magic, I suspect that it's some sort of arcane artifact. It appears to have something winding round it but as for what that nobbly thing is at the top, it's anyone's guess. The dry brushing on the chainmail gives it that niello effect, really making it look like real chainmail. Again, the white hair has that bluish tint to it that gives the Drow their air of having been isolated from any sort of daylight for a long, long time. The lank and pale hue puts me in mind of bodies that have been underwater for prolonge periods.

The head-dress, skull motif and belt are picked out in gold, but it's a gold that has a slightly reddish tint to it. Why does that not surprise me when we're talking about the Drow?

Note that just visible below the skirts of the mailshirt is what appears to be a garment in a sickly green colour. I like the idea that everything about the Drow is distorted, warped and slightly decayed, the corruption that warps their souls leaching out into everything that they do.

Finally, of course, there is the stone flooring pattern on the slotta base, Andy's trademark when it comes to the dungeon figures we've been seeing over the past few weeks.

Tune in next week, when there'll be something fishy going on.

1 comment: