Tuesday 27 April 2010

Halfway to 90

The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted that today, I've changed my profile to read 45, rather than 44. Yes, the earth turns, the seasons move on, the days get longer and now the anniversary of my birth sneaks up (making its Move Silently roll) and slugs me over the back of the head.

I'm certain that I'm not the oldest blogger on the OSR and it is heartening to note that there are a good many younger bloggers about, in some cases much younger. Whilst there is a wealth of experience and memories at what I shall call the grey end of the spectrum, the excitement, exuberance and freshness of approach of our younger members keeps me and I suspect many others on their toes.

I may have the chance of expanding my player group to welcome another young person soon. Nothing makes me review and reassess my approach and outlook like having to teach somebody from scratch something that I know so well. A child's enquiring mind and lack of guile forces me to question the way that I do things and the question "Why?" is the chisel that chips the barnacles off. And it brings back memories of being young (albeit not quite that young) and discovering D&D for the first time.

Being a member of the OSR community is a surefire antidote to vegetating into routine. There's always something new on the blogroll. I follow more than 140 blogs at present (check them out on the right) and I don't have the time to do justice to every one. But I try; it's informative, entertaining and sometimes downright provocative.

And reams and reams of new gaming material. That's like having a birthday every day.

Thanks guys!

11 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Let's hope its not sneaking up for a backstab. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I hit my halfway to 90 mark in January. Danged if I don't still feel like a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, a mere spring chicken! we're playing The Stones of Mithras this Sunday, we'll raise a glass of homebrew and think of you =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, your posts have been excellent and your support on my blog is really appreciated, best wishes and a big thanks

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Mine too, as it turns out - but you've got a year's head start. Now if only I could track down that old copy of High Fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Big Daddy!

    I believe International Law states that once you hit 45, you start counting birthday's backwards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Day! I'm not far behind you in years and, of course, always enjoy reading your comments around the OSR blogger-net.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy B-Day! You definitely want the young one in your group. The kid in my last group was easily the most original thinker - and most of those original ideas got the party into no end of trouble. Kids are a DM's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. re the 'hottest goddess' vote. Are there pics anywhere? I'm quite happy to make an aesthetic choice but are we going to have a hottest gods poll(or probably demons would be better!) just to make it fair? :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the pictures are in Deities and Demigods (the D&DG of the poll title). And sure, I can run a hottest gods poll just for you. It'll have to wait till this one is over.

    What was all that Post from Tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete