Wednesday 14 April 2010

Playtesters wanted!

I've written a module. It's ready to face the first challenge of its life - playtesting. However, I only have one 7-year old child in my group and this is definitely too intense for him.

So, if there is anyone out there who fancies giving this one a spin, let me know and I'll try and get it to you. It's currently in Word format with jpeg maps.

It's for about six 5th level characters and I wrote it for 1e so it will run on LL and AEC or OSRIC. I've called it The Stones of Mithras and it was originally set in Old 4 Eyes' world of Albion, which was a fantasy version of Britain about 200 years after the Romans left. It is perfectly adaptable to other settings, however. It's about 30 pages long, plus maps.

I'm not looking for feedback on the production values (which, because I'm doing much of it by hand will be rough and ready at present) but I do need to know how it plays, if I've made it too dangerous, not tough enough, if there are any areas that just don't work. The feedback will be used to do the 3rd draft.

This, along with the Training Dungeon will be the first offerings from a new publishing concern that myself and Old 4 Eyes are setting up, called Effigy Publishing. Why Effigy? Well, it's a nod to the cover of the 1e PHB but it's also how F.E.G might be pronounced, which stands for Four-Eyed Grognards, a combination of my blog and his (late, lamented) one.

Our output will be split into two strands - informally titled by myself DCD (Dark Content Dungeons, full-on and intense, and KWD (Kiddie-wink dungeons), which will serve as introductions to D&D for children (and possibly adult newbies). We hope to have something final on offer by the autumn, depending on how the modules play-test.

Any takers? If you're interested, PM me or reply to this thread. Many thanks in anticipation.

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to take a look at your module. I'm growing a couple of newbies myself and looking forward to see how/what others use for the 'first ones'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Daddy G,

    Yes, I would love to play test this thing and have my (coincidentally!) 5th level PCs test their mettle against your fiendish creation.

    Take care,

    Mr. R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, dnaworks I have your e-mail contact details but Mr R, if you'd like to PM me (details on my profile) I'll get the contact from that and send the module on out.

    Thanks for showing the interest - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there

    I'd be keen to give this a blast, if you can handle that I'll be converting the monsters to a bastard Dragon Warriors/1E D&D system that runs on old school feel... So it would be more feel, tone, playability than mechanics of encounters.

    If this is okay and you'd like your new module lowered, chromed and converted for a test lap, let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pukako - okay, sounds intriguing. I need feedback on the way it handles, is it overpowered, underpowered, etc, so I reckon your approach may prove informative. I'll need to get it to you so if you can e-mail me through the link on my profile page, I'll get it back to you via the reply facility.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete